Friday, August 28, 2009

Merdeka!Merdeka!Merdeka!

Merdeka! Merdeka! Merdeka! Today is really freedom for those teachers who sat for the PTK. We can hear all kinds of comments, some said that they wish they did not waste time to study... bla...bla...bla...

As for me, I have to mark another 22 more scripts before I can call it a day. I have just completed my lesson plans for next week. Enough of routine school work...

Let us talk about our Merdeka Day celebration. It seems a little cold this year, probably due to the Holy month of Ramadhan. Or could it be due to the fact of the economic slowdown? Ten years ago when we urshered into the month of August, we can proudly see Malaysians adorning the National Flag on their cars. This can no longer be seen as free flags are no longer provided. Perhaps this is a test of our patriotism to our country. Are we willing to spend a few ringgit to fly our Jalur Gemilang on our cars?

The recent economic slowdown has also caused a lot of hardships to the people. Beginning of 2009, Sibu was constantly flooded due to the King Tide. It is true, we cannot control Nature, but at least the authorities can help to alleviate the sufferings of the people by taking certain actions like dredging the Rejang River. Raising the level of the roads is not enough as houses in the low lying areas are subjected to deeper flooding...

Towards the middle of 2009, we are haunted by the H1N1 virus. Again, the authorities should have taken more precautions to contain the spread of the virus. I was in KL recently and sad to say that not all the entry points are equipped with thermal scanners. Some Malaysians are also very stubborn whn they refused to use the face mask when they are coughing or sneezing. I bet they never hear of the phrase, "Prevention is better than cure".

Likewise coming back to my jottings today; in black and white we are independent for 52 years but are we really independent of our bad habits and sufferings? Think and ponder...Merdeka!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rejang River...

Rejang River...

Convo 2009

Convo 2009
After the convo ceremony at 6.10pm

Right after convo ceremony...

Right after convo ceremony...

me in my Master's academic dress!!!

me in my Master's academic dress!!!

With the new dean, Prof Dr. Saedah Siraj

With the new dean, Prof Dr. Saedah Siraj
She is so motherly...

With Dr. Sharir Jamaluddin

With Dr. Sharir Jamaluddin
My supervisor...

With Dr. Loh Sau Cheong

With Dr. Loh Sau Cheong
my research lecturer...

With Pn. Foziah...

With Pn. Foziah...
My former lecturer...

Bryan Chong Lai En

Bryan Chong Lai En
Born in the year of a rat, bite the apple like a rat!!!

Sophie and Bryan Chong...

Sophie and Bryan Chong...
At least they can share a bike...

My niece Sophie Chong

My niece Sophie Chong

Sophie Chong

Sophie Chong
A future archealogist...

My nephew Bryan Chong

My nephew Bryan Chong

Bryan at 6 months...

Bryan at 6 months...

Bryan Chong

Bryan Chong
Isn't he cute?