Wednesday, February 18, 2009

New boss

I recently have a new lady boss in my school. My previous boss was a gentlemen and he is very popular among the staff and students. Being a lady boss, most people think that she is going to be a difficult person to work with.

Personally, I feel all bosses are the same. If we complete our task and carry out our duties with full responsibilities, I think we are going to be ok. The culprits are usually those who tend to slack...

My idea of an ideal boss is one who not only gives clear instruction to his subordinates on what to do, but one who also takes care of the staff's welfare. I personally dislike bosses who yells at his or her subordinates when things do not go well as they like. Secondly, bosses also have to respect their subordinates if they wish to be respected. Simple words of appreciation like " Thank you" and encouragement, for instance "Well done" or "Very Good" can be very effective in motivating the staff to work harder.

Bosses should always remember to whom they owe their position to? Definitely, their subordinates who slaved for them in order that they can move up the higher ranks of position. If their subordinates do not put in their efforts, do you think these bosses are at the top?

When recommending their subordinates for promotion, they should not make them feel that they owe their promotions to the bosses. In fact, the bosses should use this opportunity to make them feel appreciated due to their loyalty of service to the organizationthat they served.

It is sad that to hear that some bosses in corporate firms owned by some of the richest men in Malaysia yell at their staff to get a job done. As a result of this dehumanizing behaviour, the turnover for the staff is high. Who can stand that kind of pressure? I think if not for the money, the staff will wake up each morning dreading to go to work...

So bosses, if you are reading this piece, be a nicer person and you will see a change in your staff behaviour???

2 comments:

  1. "My idea of an ideal boss is one who not only gives clear instruction to his subordinates on what to do, but one who also takes care of the staff's welfare. I personally dislike bosses who yells at his or her subordinates when things do not go well as they like. Secondly, bosses also have to respect their subordinates if they wish to be respected. Simple words of appreciation like " Thank you" and encouragement, for instance "Well done" or "Very Good" can be very effective in motivating the staff to work harder."................U HAVE SUCH THE SAME IDEA AS ME!!!.....that's why we can work along together...hehehhhe

    ReplyDelete
  2. People with big heads think alike!!!

    ReplyDelete

Rejang River...

Rejang River...

Convo 2009

Convo 2009
After the convo ceremony at 6.10pm

Right after convo ceremony...

Right after convo ceremony...

me in my Master's academic dress!!!

me in my Master's academic dress!!!

With the new dean, Prof Dr. Saedah Siraj

With the new dean, Prof Dr. Saedah Siraj
She is so motherly...

With Dr. Sharir Jamaluddin

With Dr. Sharir Jamaluddin
My supervisor...

With Dr. Loh Sau Cheong

With Dr. Loh Sau Cheong
my research lecturer...

With Pn. Foziah...

With Pn. Foziah...
My former lecturer...

Bryan Chong Lai En

Bryan Chong Lai En
Born in the year of a rat, bite the apple like a rat!!!

Sophie and Bryan Chong...

Sophie and Bryan Chong...
At least they can share a bike...

My niece Sophie Chong

My niece Sophie Chong

Sophie Chong

Sophie Chong
A future archealogist...

My nephew Bryan Chong

My nephew Bryan Chong

Bryan at 6 months...

Bryan at 6 months...

Bryan Chong

Bryan Chong
Isn't he cute?